Thursday, August 09, 2007

What's baking?...

This week, the heat has been unbearable in Wilmore as in other places in the US. Being from Haiti, I am used to hot temperatures, but not of this kind. One expects it to be hot between 12:00 noon and 3:00PM. Around 4:00PM the sun is going down, and is leaving place for fresh air. I still cannot get use to how hot it can be at 9:00PM.
At 3:10 PM on Wednesday, the Citizen Bank's thermometer in Wilmore registered 111 degrees. Out of curiosity, I went online and checked the temparture in Port au Prince, Haiti; and Montego Bay, Jamaica--88 and 90 respectively. The heat index in both places was 107.
About a year ago, I had the opportunity to go to Thailand. The flight took us over the Artic region, and I was able to get a picture (no pun intended) of the effects of global warming. As I went over the pictures that I took, I kept wondering whether or not the degradation of the earth has already reached the point of no return. Could it be that all we can now do is delay the inevitable? Can it be that the end will come as a result of another act of disobedience: our failure to be good stewards of the earth God has entrusted to our care?
I should probably be asking: "who's baking?"; because, every time I step outside of my apartment or the library, I feel like I have just walked into an oven.




1 comment:

David N said...

No kidding about the heat. I just got back to the States from Maharashtra, India-not too far from the equator. And it must be 15-20 degrees hotter here in Virginia.
Congratulations on your new daughter Abson and Lara.