Sunday, November 11, 2007

Visiting Big Blue Nation: Friendship and Sport



I recently had the cultural experience of attending a University of Kentucky (UK) football game. It is something that I have always wanted to do, but was waiting for the opportune moment. I have a very good friend, Wesley Denham, who has been encouraging me to attend a football game. We have already been to a couple of Cincinnatti Reds' games, and a few UK basketball games. This was supposed to complete my cultural awareness of American sports.

Wesley and I met in 2001 while playing a pickup soccer game during my first year at ATS. We became good friends. As it turned out, he and Lara were friends also; needless to say that Wesley is one of the closest friends our family has. He is one of three people (Brenda Wahl, and Jared Holsing) who has been physically present with us in Russia, the United States, and the Caribbean. He made the trip to Russia in December of 2003 to attend our Jewish/Russian wedding celebration, and came to Jamaica last year to teach an intensive course at CWC. He is originally from KY, so the blood in his veins is blue, I imagine.

Well, this is a great time to be a UK fan. The football team is having what is hailed as their best season in a long time, so I thought it was the appropriate time to catch a part of the action. It was a very memorable time. I could not believe the amount of people who went to the game only to sit outside and grill burgers! It was great to see a marching band upclose, because "Drumline" is one of my favorite movies. Of course, there is the great feeling of being in a stadium filled to capacity, cheering for the home team. The best part about the experience was that I got to share it with a great friend.

1 comment:

Flint Cowboy said...

You just need to transpose the letters. You need to watch KU football (Orange Bowl this week) or basketball. Go Jayhawks.