Saturday, January 26, 2008

Ayiti Cheri... Beloved Haiti

I have not been blogging lately. There are two reasons for that: (1) It is crunch time as far as finishing my thesis is concerned; (2) I went to Haiti for a week (17-24) and did not have time to write.

Last week, I had the opportunity to be part of a missions team that went to Port-au-Prince, to do some construction work at Quisqueya Christian School. We fixed part of a ceiling, and carried out some plumbing and electrical work in three apartments. QCS is a school that provides a US education to the children of missionaries and other foreign workers in Haiti, and some Haitian families who want their children to have a US education in preparation for college.

In addition to construction work, I had the opportunity to lead devotion for the staff, speak in chapel to the middle and high school students, and was a guest lecturer on Spiritual Formation at the "Institut Biblique Methodist Libre" (Free Methodist Bible Institute) at the invitation Jack and Rev Jeanne Acheson-Munos.

I took a day off and went to Cap-Haitien to visit with my family. I spent some quality time with my grandmother, Margueritte, who was very happy to see me (although she has technically lost her sight). Because Enosch and Lorie (my brother and his wife) live in Port au Prince we were able to see each other almost everyday. We took some time to celebrate their first wedding anniversary.

It was great to be home. It is clear that some progress are being made, but we do have a long way to go. I will post some pictures of the trip soon.

No comments: