Saturday, September 20, 2008

In Memoriam Juna Constant -- 12/23/1979 9/8/2008

I remember watching you grow up.
We were very good friends. We shared everything.
By blood, you are my cousin,
But in truth, you are my sister.

I remember telling you about Jesus.
The thirst that you wanted to quench.
I remember how little by little
You found the way that leads to life.

I remember the dark days,
When you shed many tears
In longing to see your father.
We cried and hoped together.

I remember the many days
When we met after school.
You were proud to introduce your brother to your friends.
I was happy to have you as my beloved sister.

I remember the joy you had when you fell in love.
And the pain on your face when you were heartbroken.
I shared your joy.
I shared your pain.

I remember my trip to Santiago.
You were enjoying the University. You were working hard.
We knew you would make a great doctor one day;
If only time was on your side.

I remember you trip to Jamaica.
We had a great time together.
We celebrated the miracle of your healing.
You were enjoying life. You were happy.

I remember your call. It was like yesterday.
You were sharing your difficulties.
We prayed together
And thought through some solutions together.

I remember the news about your sickness.
I cried then. I am still crying today.
But you were courageous and serene.
You kept your smile and your beauty.

I remember the last time I saw you.
I had hoped I would see you again.
I was convinced that you would be more than victorious.
I was sure that life would smile on you.

You see, June, I wanted to have the memory of your wedding day.
The memory of playing with your children.
The memory of seeing our children share the same bond that binds us
Like our parents have been blessed to see.

I so wanted to say good-bye to you; alas.
Maybe it is a blessing,
Because I will always remember you
Alive, smiling, charming.

I can hear your sweet voice, smiling, telling me,
“Sony, dry your tears. I am in the arms of Jesus.”
However, my heart is torn,
Because I remember you, I remember us.

I will keep the memory of your smile
Until the day we meet again
Beyond this wretched earth
In the presence of God, where there will be no more tears.

1 comment:

Jon and Jennifer Earle said...

Abson,

I did not realize that you had a blog until last evening. What a moving piece of poetry. I would have loved to meet June, and I am so so sorry for our lost, but we trust, heaven's gain!

Yours,
Jon