Saturday, March 01, 2008

My First Love!

One of the greatest things my parents did for me was to see to it that I learned music. So in many ways, music is my first love. Before I knew I would pursue PhD studies, before I accepted God's call to ministry, and agreed to become a missionary, I was/am a musician. However, the busyness of life has caused music to play a much lesser role in my life. Sometimes, I struggle with the idea that I have underachieved as a musician.
I have been thinking about what I will/should be doing to keep myself busy once I complete my thesis (I have an April 15th, self imposed deadline), and I have decided to start playing again. So while we were in Jamaica, I dusted off my violin and Dale and I played together. We then decided to play in chapel. We played "O the Deep Deep Love of Jesus." I chose that partly because it was easy to play, partly because this is one of my favorite hymns. Well, it turned out that we performed on Valentine's Day. Coincidence? Perhaps. But the more I thought about it after I played that day, the more I became overwhelmed of God's love for me, and realized that it was actually a great blessing to be able to do other things that I love as much as music, and that ultimately, He is my first love.

1 comment:

Amie V said...

Abson, I know what you mean... my flute collects dust more than it makes music, as well. It's good to have something to look forward to after your (very close! yay!) deadline...and God is so good, to give us not just what we need, but sometimes what we want, as well. =)