Thursday, May 08, 2008

Gone Too Soon...

MarcKenol is holding Daniella while my mom lit candles (9 candles for 9 months) on Daniella's B/day cake. My brother Enosch is in the background.
Below is the local church that Mabe and I grew up attending, and that he was pastoring.


This week, I am mourning the loss of one of my best friends, MarcKenol Laurenfant. We grew up together in Cap-Haitien, Haiti and have been involved in ministry since the days of singing together in the tenor line in Children's Choir at church. We served for years in the Youth Department and Youth Choir, and he is one of three friends whom I love as much I love my brother (Enosch).

I remember when Lara and I first went to Haiti (to introduce her to my family), Mabe (as we called him) was the first one to come by to visit with us. When we took Daniella to meet her grandparents, Mabe was also among the short list of people who came to celebrate with us as my mom threw a party for her first grandchild.

Mabe completed seminary a few years ago, and had just taken the responsibilities of Assistant Pastor at the local church where we grew up. On Tuesday, he was at the church's office talking to some friends, and suddenly held his head and complained of discomfort, not long after that he lost consciousness. He was rushed to the hospital, but passed away shortly after that.

In my heart, I know that he has gone to a much better place. This does not make the pain that is tearing me apart any easier to bear. Simply, he is gone too soon. But as far as God's timing is concerned, it was time for him to go home. Somewhere deep inside, there is peace in knowing he is with the Lord.

2 comments:

Amie V said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what it is like to lose a friend. Thank God for knowing that we will meet again some day, though! I'll be praying for y'all, and for his family and friends.

Abson, Lara, Daniella & Sophie said...

Hi Amie,
Thank you very much for your kind words and your prayers. They are much appreciated.
How is your writing coming? Will you meet your deadline?